CaRP: Caching RSS Parser
CaRP offers all the features you'll need to seamlessly integrate RSS newsfeeds into your website. Compare CaRP LE, CaRP Evolution, and the Jawfish web service below. Download or Buy CaRP here.
|RSS 0.9x, 1.x & 2.x||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Atom 0.3 & 1.0||||NEW! Yes||Yes|
| Requires Grouper Evolution.|
|Media RSS extensions||Yes||Yes|
|Channel level data||
|Item level data||
|Virtually every aspect of the feed is fully customizable.|
|Themes make it easy to apply the same formatting to many different feeds. Currently, three pre-configured themes are included with CaRP.|
|Output as HTML||Yes||Yes||Yes|
| In a frame or iframe.|
|Enable others to easily display your newsfeeds on their websites.|
|NEW! Output as RSS||Yes|
|Create new feeds by filtering and remixing other feeds.|
|Output in a PHP Variable||Yes||Yes|
 Formatted output can be stored in a PHP variable.
 Choose either formatted output or parsed feed data in an array.
|Combine multiple feeds||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Newsfeeds with date/timestamps for each item may be mixed together with most recent items appearing first.|
|Control how many items to display||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Display anywhere from one item to all of the items in the feed.|
|Remove unwanted HTML||Yes||Yes||Yes|
 HTML tags are automatically removed from all feed content before it is displayed
 To ensure that HTML formatting from the feed doesn't negatively impact the format of your page, you may specify which HTML tags to allow, and CaRP will remove all others.
|Skip duplicate items||Yes||Yes|
|NOTE: operates based on the headlines only.|
| Single webmaster license for CaRP Evolution & all plugins.  Per year for 10 newsfeeds.|
| Upgrades to all future 4.x revisions.  Jawfish is powered by the latest version of CaRP Evolution.|
| The encodings supported by PHP's built-in XML parser: UTF-8, ISO-8859-1 & US-ASCII.  On servers with iconv support, adds all encodings supported by iconv to the core encodings.  All encodings supported by iconv.|
|Content based filtering||Yes||Yes||Yes|
| CaRP Evolution includes a plugin enabling more powerful filtering than is possible with other versions.|
|Multibyte character support||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Supports languages like Japanese which use multiple bytes per character, as well as multibyte special characters in languages that generally use only one byte per character.|
|Caching significantly increases your site's performance by keeping a local copy of each feed. Without caching, the feed would be fetched every time someone viewed your webpage, significantly slowing performance, and possibly getting you banned by some feed publishers.  Caching is performed on the Jawfish server, which is where your visitors get the feed from.|
|Cache files are store in CaRP's cache folders.|
|On servers where it is difficult or impossible to set the necessary access permissions for file-based caching, cache data may be stored in a mySQL database.|
|Password protected feeds||Yes||Yes|
|CaRP supports "basic" authentication, which is the most commonly used type.|
|Proxy server support||Yes||Yes||n/a|
|If your web server must go through a proxy server to access other internet sites, CaRP can be configured to use it. Password protected proxy servers are also supported.|
|If a feed gets moved and the publisher provides a redirect, CaRP will find it without requiring you to adjust your code.|
|You specify which HTML tags to allow, and CaRP will remove all others.|
New features can be added to CaRP Evolution using plugins (ie. it can "evolve").
The following plugins are included with CaRP Evolution:
The following plugins are included with CaRP Evolution:
- Access Keys: Adds "access keys" to the headline links.
In most modern web browsers,
this enables the links to be selected or "clicked" from the keyboard without using the mouse.
Provides various methods for choosing and displaying access keys.
- Age Format: Enables you to vary the visual formatting of items based on their timestamps.
For example, you might display the headline and full description for items less than an hour old,
the headline and up to 200 characters of the description for items less than 6 hours old,
and just the headlines of the rest.
- NEW! Click: Redirect headline clicks through your own script (eg. to track which items get click the most).
- NEW! Expander: Make descriptions collapsable with "show more" and "show less" links.
- Filter: Provides more complex filtering capabilities than CaRP's native filterin and filterout settings,
including regular expression matching, AND, OR, NOT, etc.
- Flex Format: Enables you to vary the visual formatting of different items in the same newsfeed.
For example, you could display the headlines and descriptions of the first 3 items, but only the headlines of the rest, change the fonts, etc.
- NEW! Group Date: Group feed items by date.
- Hours Ago: Enables the display of relative times such as "3 hours ago" for item and channel datestamps.
- mySQL: Stores parsed newsfeed items in a mySQL database for use by other applications.
- Newer Than: Instead of limiting display to a specific number of items from a newsfeed, display all items newer than a specific time.
- NEW! Numeric Entities: Convert numeric entities (eg. Ӓ) to UTF-8 characters.
- NEW! Page: Enable visitors to navigate through the items in a long feed or aggregate feed a page at a time.
- NEW! Podcast: Display podcast audio in a Flash-powered on-page MP3 player.
- NEW! Processed Data: Return parsed and optionally fully processed data from the feed in an array for easy access to each part of the data.
- NEW! QuickTime: Display QuickTime and MPEG videos.
- Replace Text: Modifies the contents of a newsfeed before displaying it.
Expand acronyms, add bold or italics to certain words or phrases,
"bleep" language you don't want appearing on your site, etc.
- NEW! Sort: Sort feed items by date, alphabetically, and more.
- NEW! XML Encode: Prepare data for output in an XML document -- this plugin works with the RSS 2.0 theme to generate RSS feeds.
- NEW! YouTube: Display YouTube videos on your site.